03 Jun #OpenBookFest2017: First Round of International Authors Announced
Brought to you by the Book Lounge and The Fugard Theatre, Open Book Festival will be presented from 6 – 10 September, once again offering a world-class selection of book launches, panel discussions, workshops, masterclasses, readings, performances and more.
The event, which also includes the popular Comics Fest, #cocreatePoetica, children’s and outreach programmes, takes place at The Fugard Theatre, District Six Homecoming Centre and The Book Lounge in Cape Town.
Open Book Festival has established itself as one of South Africa’s most innovative and leading book festivals. Last year, nearly 10 000 people attended the festival’s 125 events featuring 251 authors and it has been shortlisted twice for the London Book Fair Excellence Awards. It is committed to creating a platform to celebrate South African writers, as well as hosting top international authors. The festival strives to instill an interest in and love of reading among young attendees, while the programme is designed to engage, entertain and inspire conversations among festival goers long after the event.
Find below a list of the initial list of international authors;
1. Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀ (Nigeria)
2. Paul Beatty (USA)
3. Maylis de Kerangal (France. Attending thanks to the support of IFAS)
4. Petina Gappah (Zimbabwe)
5. Nathan Hill (USA)
6. Elina Hirvonen (Finland. Attending thanks to the support of the Embassy of Finland)
7. Scaachi Koul (Canada. Attending thanks to the support of Canada Council for the Arts)
8. Ali Land (UK)
9. Ken Liu (USA)
10. Fiston Mwanza Mujila (DRC. Attending thanks to the support of the Goethe Institut)
11. Chibundu Onuzo (Nigeria)
12. Malin Persson Giolito (Sweden. Attending thanks to the support of The Embassy of Sweden)
13. Carl Frode Tiller (Norway. Attending thanks to support from NORLA)
14. Iman Verjee
15. Alex Wheatle (UK)
16. Whittall (Canada. Attending thanks to support from Canada Council for the Arts)
For further information on the authors and their books, visit http://openbookfestival.co.za/